School Counseling (M.S.) plus Pupil Personnel Services Credential Program Application
Steps to Apply
Follow the steps below to apply to the School Counseling (M.S.) plus Pupil Personnel Services Credential Program:
- You must first apply to the California State University via Cal State Apply.
- Next, request official transcripts.
- Then, apply to the School Counseling (M.S.) plus Pupil Personnel Services Credential Program.
1. Cal State Apply
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Test Scores and Transcripts page.
3. Apply to the Program
Submit the program application and required documents as directed below:
Please gather the items below and have them ready to upload:
Write a separate personal statement responding to each of the following 3 prompts. Please type the question at the top of the document and format with double-spacing, 12-point font and at least 1-inch margins. Use a maximum of 2 pages for your answer to each prompt. (Keep in mind that we consider these statements representative of the quality of your potential work in the program.)
- Prompt #1: There are many career paths in counseling and education. Why have you chosen to pursue a career in school counseling and why have you chosen to apply to SDSU's program?
- Prompt #2: Discuss your personal and work experience in advocating for social justice and equity issues in education and/or culturally diverse communities. Provide examples of how school counselors can advocate for social justice and equity.
- Prompt #3: The field of education and the profession of school counseling is changing. What issues do you imagine school counselors will be facing in the year 2020 (at about the time you may graduate from the program)? How do you envision meeting these challenges?
- Prompt #4: For re-applicants only: How have you spent the last year continuing to grow and develop as a future school counselor?
Complete your experience profile using the Experience Profile Template (Word Document).
Take and pass the CBEST exam. For more information about registering for this exam, visit the CBEST website. You will need to upload your passing score sheet to your Online Program Application. Applicants are strongly encouraged to take the CBEST and GRE at least two weeks prior to December 15, 2018.
Obtain the results of a negative TB test. These results must be current from within the past 4 years. You can go to your medical doctor or a local clinic to get this done.
Download unofficial transcripts (or scan a paper transcript) for every institution, one file per institution, and be prepared to upload to the online program application. This is in addition to, not a substitution for, having official transcripts sent to SDSU Graduate Admissions office.
Apply for your Certificate of Clearance. More directions on this process can be found on the School of Teacher Education's Certificate of Clearance webpage. Follow the directions for applying to the Certificate of Clearance. (The Emergency Teaching Permit does not apply to this program.)
Contact 3 individuals who you have interacted with both personally and professionally who would be able to write a letter of recommendation for you. If you are a re-applicant, you will also need one new letter of recommendation. You may use two of the same letters of recommendation that you submitted with your application last year. Please request that they write their letter and have it ready for when the system is available since they will be needed quickly. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into the Online Program Application.
Access the Online Program Application
- Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).