Cristian R. Aquino-Sterling, Ph.D.
Cristian R. Aquino-Sterling holds a BA in Philosophy (Fordham University); a MA in Hispanic Cultural Studies and Literatures (Columbia University), and an Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Curriculum & Instruction (Arizona State University). He has taught at various public and private schools in New York City, at Fordham University (his Alma Mater), and at the Lauder Institute of Management and International Studies (University of Pennsylvania).
As of Fall 2021, Dr. Aquino-Sterling will be transitioning from research in the field of Bilingual Education to Philosophy and Education, particularly Philosophy for/with Children and Philosophy in Teacher Education. A new line of research leading him to his first academic love: Western Philosophy!
Dr. Aquino-Sterling currently serves as Assistant Editor of the Journal of Global Education and Research.
Previous Academic Research and Accomplishments
Dr. Aquino-Sterling pursued two main lines of research. The first examined Spanish competencies of future bilingual dual language teachers within the context of 21st century innovations in (bilingual) teacher education theory, curriculum and pedagogies. The second employed contemporary social theory and discourse analytic methods to understand the logics of “ideology critique” in critical discourses of education policy. This latter line of research is informed by his dissertation study, Systemic Anomies-Discursive Panaceas: A Critical Analysis of Critiques of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, written under the caring mentorship of Prof. Donald Blumenfeld-Jones, Arizona State University.Read More…
Dr. Aquino-Sterling was the recipient of the 2016 Early Career Reviewer Award of the Bilingual Research Journal (National Association of Bilingual Education). His works have been published in Abriendo brecha: antología crítica sobre la educación bilingüe de doble inmersión (edited by Michael Guerrero et al.), Bilingual Research Journal; Boletín de la Federación Internacional Fe y Alegría; International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism; International Journal of Language and Linguistics; International Multilingual Research Journal; Multicultural Perspectives; Reading in a Foreign Language; Revista Comunicación; Revista Internacional de Educación para la Justicia Social; Teachers College Record, and Voices from the Middle. Dr. Aquino-Sterling has served as Research Fellow in the Advanced Research Collaborative (ARC) of the Graduate Center, City University of New York and, during the academic year 2018-2019, he served as Visiting Professor in the MIRCo research group at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, and at Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Río de Janeiro.
- Applied Linguistics for Teachers of ESOL
- Biliteracy Foundations of Teaching and Learning (in Spanish).
- Communication and Cognition: Discourse, Ideology, and Cross-Cultural Communication in Schools and Societies (Doctoral Seminar).
- Educational Psychology for the Bilingual Classroom (K-8).
- Ethnically Diverse Learners: Public Policy and Classroom Practice. (Doctoral Seminar).
- Language Assessment and Evaluation (MA course).
- Language Development in K-12 Classrooms.
- Language Variation in Schools and Societies.
- Research-Based Pedagogy for Diverse Learners (MA course)
- Teaching Disciplinary Literacies in Secondary Schools.
- Theory and Practice of Multilingual Education.
- Social and Cultural Foundations of Multicultural Education (doctoral seminar)
- Spanish (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Superior Levels)
- Business Spanish
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2016). Responding to the call: Developing and assessing pedagogical Spanish in bilingual teacher education. Bilingual Research Journal, 39(1), 50–68.
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2015). Metalinguistic knowledge at play: Using Common Core en Español to develop teaching-specific Spanish competencies in bilingual teacher education in the U.S.A. Revista Comunicación, 24(2), 47-57.
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2014). Speaking and listening in a new key: Discursive performances in light of Common Core. Voices from the Middle, 22(1): 30-35.
- Aquino-Sterling, C., & Rodríguez-Valls, F. (2016). Developing ‘teaching-specific’ Spanish competencies in bilingual teacher education: Towards a culturally, linguistically, and professionally relevant framework. Multicultural Perspectives, 18(2), 73-81.
- Aquino-Sterling, C., Rodríguez -Valls, F., & Zahner, W. (2016). Fostering a culture of discourse in secondary mathematics classrooms: Equity approaches in teaching and teacher education for emergent bilingual students. Revista Internacional de Educación para la Justicia Social, 5(2), 87-107.
- Aquino-Sterling, C., Garrity, S. & Day, A. (2015). “We are heritage speakers and we are all diverse”: Language mediating teachers’ identities in a multilingual infant classroom. International Journal of Language and Linguistics, 2(1), 1-14.
- Rodríguez-Valls, F., & Aquino-Sterling, C. (2016). Maestros de secundaria y preparatoria, maestros de lenguaje: la importancia de propiciar el aprendizaje de la lengua mediante la enseñanza de contenidos curriculares. Journal of Bilingual Education Research & Instruction, 18(1), 106-120.
- Garrity, S., Aquino-Sterling, C., & Salcedo-Potter, N. (2019). Head Start educators’ beliefs about bilingualism, dual language development, and bilingual education. Bilingual Research Journal: https://doi.org/10.1080/15235882.2019.1624282
- Garrity, S., Aquino-Sterling, C., & Day, A. (2017). Translanguaging in an infant classroom: Using multiple languages to make meaning. In M. Gort. (Ed.), The complex and dynamic languaging practices of emergent bilinguals. New York: Routledge. (Reprinted from International Multilingual Research Journal, 9(3), 177-196).
- Garrity, S., & Aquino-Sterling, C., Van Liew, C., & Day, A. (2016). Beliefs about bilingualism, bilingual education, and dual language development of ECE preservice teachers raised in a Prop 227 environment. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism.
- Garrity, S., Aquino-Sterling, C., & Day, A. (2015). Translanguaging in an infant classroom: Using multiple languages to make meaning. International Multilingual Research Journal, 9(3), 177-196.
- Zúñiga, C.E., Lachance, J.R., Aquino-Sterling, C.R., & Guerrero, M.D. (2019, Summer). Preparing the “Linguistically Qualified” Bilingual
Self/Auto Ethnographies of Bilingual Teacher Educators. Teacher Education Quarterly, 46(3).
- Aquino-Sterling, C., Rodríguez-Valls, F., & Outes, R. (2017). La educación bilingüe en Estados Unidos de Norteamérica: continuidades y discontinuidades históricas y actuales. In M. Guerrero, M. C. Guerrero, L. Soltero-González, & K. Escamilla (Eds.), Abriendo brecha: antología crítica sobre la educación de doble inmersión. Dual Language Education of New México. Albuquerque, NM: Fuente Press.
- Swadener, B. B., Aquino-Sterling, C., Nakagawa, M., & Bartlett, M. (2009). Anti-oppressive pedagogy in early childhood teacher education: A conversation. In S. L. Groenke & J. A. Hatch (Eds.), Critical pedagogy and teacher education in the neoliberal era: Small openings (pp. 99-112). London: Springer.
- Aquino-Sterling, C., & Gallagher-Geurtsen, T. (2016). Review of Self Regulation and the Common Core: Applications to ELA Standards, by M.C. White & M.K. DiBenedetto. Teachers College Record, ID Number: 21761.
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2016). Notes towards a clarifying response to Gagnon. New York: Advanced Research Collaborative, The Graduate Center, City University of New York (CUNY).
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2015). Approaches to academic and professional Spanish language development with pre-service teachers in bilingual/dual-language teacher preparation programs in California. Newsletter of the California Council on Teacher Education, 26(3), 23-24.
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2006). Critical perspectives on the sociocultural and sociopolitical context of education in the United States. In L. Diaz Soto (Ed.), The Praeger Handbook of Latinos and Education in the U.S. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2006). Review of Henry Giroux, La inocencia robada: Juventud, multinacionales, y política cultural. Madrid: Ediciones Morata, 2003. Reseñas Educativas.
- Aquino-Sterling, C. (2004). Review of Katheleen Talvacchia, Critical minds, discerning hearts: A spirituality of multicultural teaching. St. Louis, Missouri: Chalice Press, 2003. Education Reviews.
- Kumashiro, K., Agarwal-Rangnath, R., Aquino-Sterling, C., Ayers, R., Berlak, A., Cadiero Kaplan, K., Epstein, K., Henning, N., Katz, S., Koirala-Azad, S., Marachi, R., Nunez, I., Schultz, K., Sleeter, C., & Zavala, M. (Contributors, 2016). Common Core State Standards assessments in California: Concerns and recommendations.
- Brantmeier, C., Dolosic, H., Schultz, L., Aquino-Sterling, C., Van Bishop, T. (Eds). (2015, October). Readings on L2 reading: Publications in other venues 2014–2015. Reading in a Foreign Language.
- Brantmeier, C., Schultz, L., Aquino-Sterling, C., & Van Bishop, T. (Eds). (2014, October). Readings on L2 reading: Publications in other venues 2013–2014. Reading in a Foreign Language, 26(2): 86-98.
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]