Data Classification and Handling Policies
Transmitted via FAX
Protected Level 1:
- Must be attended, with someone physically present at both ends of the FAX machine.
- FAX machine should be located in secure area, with access limited to authorized personnel.
- EXCEPT for credit card information for payments which should not be faxed under any conditions. Procedures for faxing credit card payment information must be reviewed and approved by the appropriate campus and Foundation authorities. Contact the SDSURF Director of Finance & Accounting for additional information.
Protected Level 2:
- Should be attended, with someone physically present at both ends of the FAX machine.
Protected Level 3:
Additional FAX procedures
- Whenever possible, information should be sent only to FAX machines at known locations, where the physical security of the receiving machine can be assured. If you are not sure, verify with the recipient.
- Sensitive documents – inbound or outbound- should not be left sitting on or around the FAX machine.