Who are we?
San Diego State University Talent Search is a TRiO program funded by the U.S. Department
of Education to assist students in pursuing a postsecondary education. Talent Search
is a FREE program open to eligible 9th-12th grade students at participating high schools.
Contact your advisor today to see how Talent Search can help you!
Our academic advisors have extensive experience from diverse backgrounds (e.g., social work, psychology, counseling and education) and we take a holistic approach in the work that we do. We understand that our students might be facing challenges and potential obstacles in addition to their academic careers. However, we strive to motivate and provide them with academic, social and emotional support, and teach the importance of self-advocacy.
Take a look at our program Newsletter and program Flyer:
Your advisor can assist you with the following:What do we do?
- Career exploration and selecting a major
- Choosing the classes required for college admission
- One-on-one academic advising (college eligibility)
- Provide encouragement, support and motivation (honoring your choices)
- Selecting and applying to universities, colleges and vocational schools
- Applying for financial aid, including grants, scholarships, and loans
- Financial literacy education (e.g., budgeting, and how to take out loans responsibly)
- Finding volunteer opportunities and internships
- Provide information on SAT/ACT tests, fee waivers, test-prep workshops and assist with registration
- Referrals to other programs, resources, and events that might be of interest to you
- Field trips to college campuses!
- In-class tutoring service provided by SDSU's Pathways tutors (through the College of Education)
- Seniors who are active in the program, receive a FREE Talent Search graduation sash
Talent Search Tips: How to Ask for a Letter of Recommendation
Calendar of Events
Our Partner Schools:
Sweetwater Union District and Charter Schools:
San Diego Unified District Schools: