Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis
Learn about the Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis offered by the Department of Special Education.
SDSU's Department of Special Education offers a verified course sequence (VCS) from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board® towards the BCBA, as well as the Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis.
- Note: If you want to enroll at SDSU only to take the courses toward the BCBA, you must enroll in the Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis. (If you want a certificate from SDSU, you must take at least 12 units.) Therefore, all candidates should enroll in the Advanced Certificate program.
BCBA: Board Certified Behavior Analyst
- Coursework consists of 19 credit hours (7 classes)
- Classes can be completed in a 1-year period, but most students require 2 years
- Those interested in completing BCBA coursework should already hold an M.A./
Ph.D. or should be concurrently enrolled in a graduate program at SDSU or elsewhere
- Fieldwork: 1,500 hours (Not offered through SDSU; see Required Fieldwork tab)
- View matrix for course content hours for the BACB (PDF).
- The Behavior Analyst Certification Board®, Inc. has verified the following courses
toward the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior
Analyst® (Option 1) or Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst® examination. Applicants
will need to meet additional requirements before they can be deemed eligible to take
- Examination pass rate: Behavior Analyst Certification Board®, Inc. publishes pass rates for those taking the exam for the first time who have taken 100% of the courses as part of the course sequenced offered by SDSU #4222. Pass rates for others, including retakes are not included in this percentage. The pass rate information can be found at https://www.bacb.com/verified-course-sequences/
- The course sequence below is required for ALL individuals taking the exam after January 1, 2015. Students MUST have been OR be enrolled in a Masters or Doctoral program to complete this sequence. These courses that also comprise the SDSU Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis are listed below:
|BCBA ® Board Certified coursework sequence||Semester
|# of BCBA
|1. SPED 553: Behavioral Strategies & Supports||Fall/
|2. SPED 530 : Issues in Autism||Fall/
|3. SPED 605: Advanced Behavioral & Health Supports||Spring||1||16|
|4. SPED 676: Advanced Applied Behavior Analysis (pre-requisite: SPED 553)||Spring||3||45|
|5. SPED 685: Single-Subject Research Design||Fall||3||45|
|6. CSP 733: Ethics||Fall||3||45|
|7. SPED 681B: Advanced Studies (open to SDSU MA students OR with Instructor Approval)||Spring||3||37|
The SDSU courses are only one of the criteria for obtaining certification for the Behavior Analysis Certification Board. Applicants must also have supervised Required Fieldwork experience (see below) and pass an exam.
- Note: some classes can be taken through Open University. Visit the SDSU College of Extended Studies.
Note that these SDSU programs provide only the coursework for the BCBA. In order to be eligible to sit for the BCBA exam and become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, you must also complete fieldwork. Students must make their own arrangements for fieldwork and supervision. See the BACB website for a registry of certified supervisors in your area.
See Frequently Asked Questions about this certificate program (which is embedded within the M.A. Autism Specialization program).
Gainful Employment: Federal Disclosure Requirements
Federal disclosure requirements regarding gainful employment require that the following information be disclosed for the following program: Advanced Certificate in Behavior Analysis. (Revised: 09/6/2017)
- Program Level - Graduate certificate
- Program Length - 10 Months
Q: How much will this program cost me?*
A: The approximate cost* of this program per semester for Fall, 2018 is:
- 6 or fewer units: $2,955
- 6+units: $4,461
*all fee amounts are accurate as of 4/4/18 and are subject to change.
- $8,894 for in-state tuition and fees
- $16,418 for out-of-state tuition and fees
- $1,854 for books and supplies
- $14,168 for off-campus room and board
- $15,966 for on-campus room and board.
Q: What other costs are there for this program?
A: $2,180 for transportation and
$1,450 for miscellaneous/
The amounts shown above include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion. Note that this information is subject to change.
See SDSU Student Account Services: Money Matters for current fee information. Also see the SDSU Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships Cost of Attendance page.
Q: What financing options are available to help me pay for this program?
A: Financing for this program may be available through grants, scholarships, loans (federal and private) and institutional financing plans. The median amount of debt for program graduates is shown below:
- Federal loans: *
- Private education loans: *
- Institutional financing plan: *
* Less than 10 graduates received loans. Median amounts are withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the loan recipients.
Q: How long will it take me to complete this program?
A: The program is designed to take 10 months to complete. Of those that completed the program in 2016-2017, *% finished in 10 months.
*Less than 10 students completed this program in 2016-17. The number who finished within the normal time has been withheld to preserve the confidentiality of the students.
Q: What are my chances of getting a job when I graduate?
A: The job placement rate for students who completed this program is **%.
**This institution is not currently required to calculate a job placement rate for program completers.