Hybrid Online M.A. in Education with a Concentration in Counseling (plus Graduate Certificate in Restorative Justice Practice and Trauma-Informed Care) Application Process
Learn how to apply to the MA in Education with a Concentration in Counseling program.
Steps to Apply
1. Submit the Cal State Apply application
Complete the university application at www.calstate.edu/apply. Do NOT submit a personal statement or letters of recommendation through this system.
- Note: All students who gain admission to the M.A. in Education with a Concentration in Counseling program will automatically be enrolled in the certificate program as well. Completing the certificate does not require any additional work or accrue additional costs during your course of study, as the certificate is an embedded program.
- If you would like to apply to the certificate program only, then please use the certificate-only admissions page.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Official Transcripts page.
3. Submit the Program application
Please gather the required items below and have them ready to upload to the Program application:
Write a 2-3 page personal statement based on the following prompts:
- What interests you about our hybrid online program compared to other training programs?
- What personal experiences have been important in helping you prepare to be a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
- What unique multicultural experiences have you experienced in your life that have been meaningful to you in preparing to work as a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
- What specific events, in your schooling or working life, stand out to you as important stepping stones for training to be a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
Please upload your current resume or CV to the Program application.
This information will be requested within the Program application.
Download unofficial transcripts (or scan a paper transcript) for every institution, one file per institution, and be prepared to upload to the online program application. This is in addition to, not a substitution for, having official transcripts sent to SDSU Graduate Admissions office.
Letters of recommendation from 3 individuals who have knowledge of your academic and/or professional work. Please request that they write their letter and have it ready for when the system is available since they will be needed quickly. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into Interfolio Program Application (not through Cal State Apply).
Please collect names and email addresses so you are ready to request these letters in the Program application.
Make a 5- to 6-minute video on your phone or some other video recording device and upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, or Google Drive and share the link/URL in the Program Application.
Address the following questions in your video:
- Tell us what you are most passionate about and why you are interested in becoming a mental health professional, counselor or educator.
- What do you hope to learn throughout the program?
- What do you imagine you will be your contribution to the field and how will you work with others to provide them with helpful mental health services?
In the Documents section of the Program Application, under Personal Statement, please upload the URL for your video. Please add the URL for where your video is hosted to the "web page" tab in Interfolio as it is more reliable than the "video" tab. Your video MUST be hosted in YouTube, Vimeo or Google Drive and the link/URL provided in the application. Video on how to upload a video to YouTube.
Access the Online Program Application
- Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).