Hybrid Online M.A. in Education with a Concentration in Counseling (plus Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Recovery & Trauma-Informed Care)
Learn how to apply to the MA in Education with a Concentration in Counseling program.
Steps to Apply
Follow the steps below to apply to the online M.A. and certificate program:
- Apply to the California State University via Cal State Apply.
- Request official transcripts.
- Submit a Program application to the MA in Education with a Concentration in Counseling program.
1. Cal State Apply
Complete the university application at www.calstate.edu/apply. Do NOT submit a personal statement or letters of recommendation through this system.
- Note: All students who gain admission to the M.A. in Education with a Concentration in Counseling program will automatically be enrolled in the certificate program as well. Completing the certificate does not require any additional work or accrue additional costs during your course of study, as the certificate is an embedded program.
- If you would like to apply to the certificate program only, then please use the certificate-only admissions page.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Test Scores and Transcripts page.
3. Apply to the Program
Submit the program application and required documents as directed below:
Please gather the items below and have them ready to upload:
Write a 2-3 page personal statement based on the following prompts:
- What interests you about our hybrid online program compared to other training programs?
- What personal experiences have been important in helping you prepare to be a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
- What unique multicultural experiences have you experienced in your life that have been meaningful to you in preparing to work as a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
- What specific events, in your schooling or working life, stand out to you as important stepping stones for training to be a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
Please upload your current resume or CV to the Program application.
This information will be requested within the Program application.
Download unofficial transcripts (or scan a paper transcript) for every institution, one file per institution, and be prepared to upload to the online program application. This is in addition to, not a substitution for, having official transcripts sent to SDSU Graduate Admissions office.
Letters of recommendation from 3 individuals who have knowledge of your academic and/or professional work. Please request that they write their letter and have it ready for when the system is available since they will be needed quickly. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into Interfolio Program Application (not through Cal State Apply).
Make a 5- to 6-minute video on your phone or some other video recording device and upload it with the other online program application materials in the Program Application.
Address the following questions in your video:
- Tell us what you are most passionate about and why you are interested in becoming a mental health professional, counselor or educator.
- What do you hope to learn throughout the program?
- What do you imagine you will be your contribution to the field and how will you work with others to provide them with helpful mental health services?
In the application you will be asked to upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo. Link to directions on how to do this.
Access the Online Program Application
- Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).