Cal State Apply Tips
for Graduate Applicants
Graduate Programs: 2 Applications
Most graduate programs in the College of Education require 2 applications to complete the application process: 1) Cal State Apply to the University and 2) a Program application. Our faculty will only be reviewing the information in your Program Application.
Preliminary Credential Programs Only: 1 Application
Our preliminary credential programs only require the Cal State Apply application as we have included the program questions into this application.
Information you can skip
You can submit Cal State Apply without entering all of the information in all sections (as described below), since you will provide this information in your Program Application.
If you are applying to programs at other campuses, then you should check with them to see if they require these fields.
These items are not required on the graduate application at SDSU.
Skip the GPA question by doing the following: Click on Add GPA and then select "I don't have a GPA to add." See page 27, GPA Entries, of the Graduate Application Tutorial.
Credential applicants can use the button, "I don't have any test scores to enter," to skip this section.
Applicants do NOT need to enter any information in Experiences. Our faculty will not be reviewing that information in this application — instead they will review similar information in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply. Please SKIP these sections by clicking on the button "I have no experiences to add."
For most graduate applicants this section should already be green "complete" for you. Nothing is required in this quadrant.
Programs Requiring Only 1 Application
Preliminary Credential applicants and a few M.A. programs have built this section out so their program only has 1 application. If this applies to your program then you will complete this quadrant instead of a second Program Application. If you do not already have a green circle on this section, then your program requires you to complete it.
Preliminary Credential Only
Preliminary Credential program applicants will need to submit all the credential program requirements in this section (such as CBEST scores, CSET scores, narratives, video link, etc.). Please be sure to enter as much of this information as you have prior to submitting the Cal State Apply application.
- Test Scores: If you are just waiting on test scores, please submit the application and email in your test scores when they are available.
- Please request your letters of recommendation through this application early to provide your recommenders time to submit their letters by February 1st.
- Request early: Please request your letters of recommendation through this application early to provide your recommenders time to submit their letters by February 1st.
- Correct program: Please be sure that you have the correct program chosen BEFORE you request your letters of recommendation.
- Program change: If you have to change the program to which you are applying, your letters of recommendation will be DELETED from your application and you will have to request them again.
- Wrong application: If you find yourself in the wrong application and have letters submitted in your application, please email Stephanie Kearney at [email protected] for assistance.
The Cal State Apply application will only allow you to submit 1 application per campus, per term. This means that for Fall 2023 you can apply to 1 program at SDSU only; but you could submit a Cal State Apply application to a program at another CSU campus.
If you want to apply to 2 programs at SDSU, there is a "work around." Please submit the Cal State Apply application for 1 of the two programs. If you are applying to any of the following programs, then please submit the Cal State Apply application for this program:
- Postsecondary Educational Leadership: Specialization in Student Affairs (M.A.)
- School Counseling (M.S.) plus Pupil Personnel Services Credential
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.) Elementary and Secondary Education with a Focus in Math and Science
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.) K-12 Language Arts – Summer Only Program
These programs have all their application questions in the Cal State Apply application (no other Program Application is required). Most of the other Graduate Programs within the College of Education require a second Program application in Interfolio. To be considered for the additional program you would need to complete the Program applications for all programs you are wanting to apply to. If you have further questions, please email Stephanie Kearney at [email protected]
Helpful ResourcesCal State Apply Graduate Application Tutorial
This tutorial (PDF) can help all applicants applying for Graduate Admission at SDSU through the Cal State Apply application.Cal State Apply Preliminary Credential Tutorial
This tutorial (PDF) can help you complete the Program Materials quadrant required when applying to the following programs:
- Multiple or Single Subject credential
- Bilingual Multiple or Bilingual Single Subject credential
- Special Education credential (Early Childhood, Mild/Moderate, or Moderate/Severe)
Questions & Problems
Review instructions in What to do if your program does not appear on the list in Cal State Apply?? (PDF)
If you cannot submit your application and are receiving an error message, contact the Cal State Apply Technical Help Line at 857-304-2087.
Please be sure to have the CAS # assigned to your application for reference when you call.
For specific questions, visit the Cal State Apply FAQ page or contact Stephanie Kearney, College of Education, Admissions Analyst at [email protected].