Adam Frost, M.A.
Dual Language and English Learner Education
Adam Frost is an American Sign Language (ASL) professor at several universities and colleges in the San Diego area including, San Diego State University (SDSU), University of California San Diego (UCSD), and Mesa Community College. He received his masters degree from Gallaudet University in Linguistics and his Bachelors degree from California State University Northridge (CSUN) in Deaf Studies with a focus on ASL Literature. He teaches all levels of ASL as well as Linguistics of ASL.
Adam has served on the board of the San Diego charter of the American Sign Language Teachers Association (SD-ASLTA) to help build a community of support for ASL teachers in the San Diego area as well as raising awareness of standards and expectations for ASL teachers in school hiring and employing them. Adam is also greatly involved in using a written form for ASL and currently working on building a Wikipedia entirely written in ASL using a system called SignWriting.
- DLE 101: American Sign Language Level One (Face to Face and Online courses)
- DLE 102: American Sign Language Level Two (Face to Face and Online courses)
- DLE 201: American Sign Language Level Three (Face to Face and Online courses)
- MA in Linguistics, Gallaudet University, May 2012.
- BA degree in Deaf Studies with a concentration in ASL and ASL Literature, California State University, Northridge, May 2010.
- AA degree in ASL/Interpreting, Pierce Community College, May 2006.
- Frost, Adam. ASL & English Bilingualism in Our Community. SD-ASLTA Workshop, Mesa College, San Diego, CA, December 2018.
- Frost, Adam. Curso de Inverno De SignWriting. State University of Paraná (UNIOESTE), Cascavel, Paraná, Brazil, July 2018.
- Frost, Adam. Língua Portugesea e suas Literaturas no Mundo. 1º Congresso Internacional Letras (I CONIL), Federal University of Maranhão (UFMA), Bacabal, Brazil, August 2017.
- Frost, Adam. Sign Language Corpus Using SignWriting. Sign Language Corpus Workshop, Gallaudet University, Washington, DC, May 2011.
- Frost, Adam. SignWriting Workshop. Conference on Sign Languages Around the World, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, Instituto de Ceincias da Saude, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2009.
- Frost, Adam. SignWriting Workshop. Edogawa Deaf Association, Tokyo, Japan, January 2019.
- Frost, Adam. SignWriting Workshop. MassRID, Via Zoom, February 2021.
- Frost, Adam, and Valerie Sutton. SignWriting: American Sign Language Hand Symbols. La Jolla, CA: SignWriting Press, 2013. Print.
- Lucas, Ceil, and Gene Mirus, Jeff Palmer, Nicholas Roessler, and Adam Frost. The Effect of New Technologies on Sign Language Data Collection, Ed. in Sign Language Studies, Vol. 13 #4. Gallaudet University, Summer 2013.
- Lucas, Ceil, and Gene Mirus, Jeff Palmer, Nicholas Roessler, and Adam Frost. The Effect of New Technologies on Sign Language Research. Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research (TISLR) Conference 11. University College London, London, England, July 2013.
- Sutton, Valerie, and Adam Frost. SignWriting Part 2: SignWriting Hand Symbols. La Jolla, CA: SignWriting Press, 2011. Print.
- Sutton, Valerie, and Adam Frost. SignWriting: Sign Languages Are Written Languages. VAIL Conference, San Diego, CA, July 2008.
- Sutton, Valerie, and Adam Frost. Writing Sign Languages. Societas Linguistica Europea 2009 (SLE 2009) Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2009.