Information for Current Students

Find information for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students in SDSU's College of Education.

Common Academic Concerns

Students are responsible for any adjustments to their own schedule. All of these schedule changes must be initiated through the Office of the Registrar. Please refer to the current Academic Calendar for deadline information.

Instructor-initiated drop policy: Students who do not attend the first session and the beginning of the second class session of a course MAY BE DROPPED from that course by the instructor within the first 12 days of the semester. However, not all faculty use this option, so be sure to check your class schedule by the schedule adjustment deadline to make sure it is correct.

Obtain a petition from the Office of the Registrar. Follow the instructions on the form. On the petition, be sure to attach a statement from yourself as well as any supporting materials you may have before submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. A Late Change of Program is only considered with documentation of serious and compelling reasons. The Senate Policy on Late Withdrawal states that "After the last day of the semester, a student who wishes to change assigned grades to ‘W’ grades must request to withdraw from the full semester's work; no requests for individual classes will be accepted."
"Withdrawal from the University" means dropping all classes. Obtain a petition and green withdrawal card from the Office of the Registrar. Follow the steps for each. Return the completed information to Office of the Registrar.
  1. Check with the department of your intended major for requirements and filing periods.
  2. Get a Change of Major form from the Office of the Registrar or download one from their website.
  3. Obtain the necessary departmental approval.
  4. Return the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

You will be held to the catalog requirements that are in effect when you submit your Change of Major form.

If you are admitted as a pre-major, you must complete specific requirements before you are admitted to the major.

  • Only undergraduate students are eligible for Course Forgiveness.
  • Students can use Course Forgiveness up to a maximum of 16 units, with no more than 1 upper division course.
  • If a student receives a C- or lower in a class, the student has the option to repeat the course using Course Forgiveness. While the original grade will remain on the student's records, the grade earned in the repeat (whether higher or lower than the original grade) will be used in place of the earlier grade in calculation of grade point averages.
  • In the semester that a student wants to repeat a course, he or she must file a Course Forgiveness form in the Office of the Registrar before the end of the add period.
  • The repeated course must have the same number and title as the original course.
  • Classes can only be repeated once for Course Forgiveness.
  • An Incomplete indicates that a portion of the required coursework has not been completed during the regular semester due to unforeseen but justifiable reasons. An Incomplete also indicates that earning course credit is still possible.
  • It is the student's responsibility to bring relevant information to the instructor and to reach an agreement with the instructor as to how the remaining course requirements will be fulfilled.
  • An Incomplete is not appropriate if attendance of a major portion of class is necessary the next time it is offered. Do not re-enroll in the same course to make up an Incomplete.
  • The conditions for the removal of the Incomplete will be put in writing and kept on file in the department office until the Incomplete is removed or the one-year time limit has lapsed.
  • Once the student fulfills the agreed conditions of the Incomplete, the Instructor of Record will submit a grade change.
  • If the student does not fulfill the conditions of the Incomplete before one calendar year has passed, the “I” will be changed to an “IC” which is computed as a failing grade in your GPA.

The purpose of probation is to warn students that their academic performance is below the state minimum required for graduation. Academic probation also indicates that improvement is required before a degree can be granted.

  • An undergraduate student whose cumulative or campus (SDSU) grade point average falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation at the end of the semester.
  • If a student earns a 2.0 or better each term while on academic probation, academic probation will be continued up to a maximum of three semesters.
  • Academic probation will be lifted when the student has raised both her/his cumulative and campus grade point averages to 2.0 or better.
  • While on academic probation, if a student does not earn a semester grade point average of 2.0 or better, then that student will be disqualified.
  • At the end of the third semester of academic probation, if the student's cumulative and campus grade point averages have not been raised to 2.0 or better, then that student will be disqualified.

Graduate students can learn more about probation, by visiting the SDSU Registrar's Office.

Please note that students who have been disqualified from San Diego State University will not be allowed to enroll in regular SDSU classes (including Open University or College of Extended Studies classes) until one year from the date of their disqualification. Students who want to return to SDSU after one year will need to reapply to the University.

In order for a disqualified student to raise the SDSU GPA for readmission, he or she may wish to enroll in Open University courses following the one-year disqualification period.

The College of Education has established a procedure for students who have encountered problems in the classroom. These steps are as follows:

  1. Attempt to resolve the situation directly with the faculty member involved.
  2. If the initial attempt at resolution is unsuccessful, make an appointment to see the Chair of the faculty member's department and discuss the issue with her or him.
  3. If discussing the situation with the department Chair still has not afforded satisfaction, submit a written statement of the problem to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs in the Education and Building Administration building, Room 346. The statement should be as complete as possible and should, at minimum, contain the faculty member's name, the course title, a description of the problem, and the student's name, red ID number, and a phone number or email address where the student can be reached. Be sure to attach copies of any pertinent materials that may support your case, such as the course syllabus, papers or assignments, handouts, and correspondence. After the Assistant Dean has reviewed the file, the student will be contacted to arrange an appointment.

Find Information For: