Prerequisite Courses and Course Equivalencies
Learn about Prerequisite Courses and Course Equivalencies for Multiple and Single Subject preliminary credential program.
Preliminary Credential Admissions Requirements - Prerequisite Courses and Course Equivalencies
The following courses must be completed, within the past 7 years, with a grade of “C”, credit or better prior to entering the program. These courses cannot be taken concurrently with the program, but they may be in progress at the time of application (or taken in the summer prior to admission into the program).
- ED 451, “Introduction to Multicultural Education” (3 units)
- TE 280, “Health Education for Teachers” (1 unit) or CFD 278, "Nutrition, Health, and Safety for Young Children" (2 units)
- SPED 450, “Classroom Adaptations for Special Populations” (2 units) or SPED 500*, “Human Exceptionality” (3 units) or CFD 590, “Children with Special Needs” (4 units)
- *MATH 210, “Structure and Concepts of Elementary Mathematics” (3 units) (Multiple Subjects Only)
* SPED 500 is preferred for the Bilingual credential program
Course Equivalencies for San Diego Area Schools
||ED 451||MATH 210||TE 280||SPED 450/500*|
|CSU San Marcos||EDUC 364||MATH 210||EDUC 571||EDUC 501|
|Cuyamaca & Grossmont Colleges||N/A||MATH 125||HED 105 or 120||N/A|
|Imperial Valley College||N/A||MATH 110||HE 102||N/A|
|Mira Costa College||N/A||MATH 105||HEAL 101||N/A|
|Mt. San Jacinto College||N/A||MATH 155||HS 121||N/A|
|National University||TED 606||MTH 209A||HED X1101X||SPD 608|
|Palomar College||N/A||MATH 105||HE 100 or CHDV 120||N/A|
|Point Loma Nazarene University||N/A||MATH 213||FCS 315||EDU 404|
|San Diego Christian College||N/A||MA 303||BIO 300||N/A|
|San Diego Community Colleges (City/
||N/A||MATH 210A||HEAL 101, 190 or 195||N/A|
|Southwestern College||N/A||MATH 110||HLTH 101||N/A|
|UCSD||EDS 117 or SOCI 117||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|UCSD Extension||EDUC 31217||N/A||EDUC 30057||EDUC 30146|
|University of Phoenix||N/A||MTH 213||N/A||N/A|
|USD||ED 381C||MATH 200||N/A||EDSP 389|
* these pre-req equivalents can only be used for Multiple and Single Subject credential applicants applying to the Bilingual (DLE) and non-Bilingual (STE) credential program. Special Education credential applicants must take SPED 450 (3 units) at SDSU.
Course Equivalencies for Other Schools
The courses in the table above are approved equivalents and may be used to meet the prerequisite requirements.
If you have taken a course or want to take a course outside the San Diego area, please email [email protected] to get equivalent course information for our pre-requisites for other schools in California.
If you have/
Bilingual Credential applicants
Bilingual Credential applicants, if you need to submit a petition for a pre-requisite
course please use the Bilingual Petition form. Please include an unofficial transcript and/