Preliminary Special Education, Extensive Support Needs (formerly Moderate/ Severe) Credential Application Process
The Extensive Support Needs Special Education credential allows you to work with special needs children and adults requiring extensive support needs from age 5 through 22.
Steps to Apply
1. Submit the Cal State Apply Application
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
Items Needed to Complete the Cal State Apply Application
The credential items below will be asked about by questions and/or uploads in the Program Materials box/quadrant of the Cal State Apply application. Please start preparing to apply by getting these materials ready.
- Unofficial transcript
- Bachelor's Degree
- GPA Requirement
- Personal Narrative
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Credential Application fee (currently $25)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- Subject Matter Competency (can be completed by one of the following)
- Certificate of Clearance or Emergency Teaching Permit
- Negative TB test results
Important Information about Credential requirements:
- These items need to be completed prior to admission to SDSU's Credential program. Some items can be in progress when you are applying (like pre-reqs and your degree), but all exams and the Clearance MUST be complete BEFORE admission.
- Please maintain all your original documents as you may need to submit these again to Districts for student teaching and/or employment.
2. Request official transcripts
Please be aware that there are additional exit requirements which you must fulfill to earn your credential. These must be completed by the time you finish the credential program.