English Language Development for Academic Literacy Certificate
How to Apply
Important Dates for Fall 2023
First Round of Admissions
|1. Cal State Apply application
(opens October 1 each year)
|February 1, 2023|
|2. Interfolio program application||February 2, 2023|
|3. Official transcripts due||March 1, 2023|
Second Round of Admissions
Steps 1-4: Admission to SDSU
Steps 1-4 must be completed through the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office.
Get help and tips on how to complete the Cal State Apply application.
Step 5: Submit the Program application
Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).
Gather Required Items
Gather the items below and have them ready to upload to the Interfolio program application:
- Teaching Credential: If you have a credential please enter the Credential Document Number from your teaching credential in the Program application. If you are in the process of finishing a credential program, you can enter the date when you will be finished. A teaching credential is not required for this program.
- Writing Sample: You have two options. (1) Upload an academic writing sample or (2) Write a 500-800 word (double-spaced with 12-point font) statement of purpose that addresses the following:
- Your background or experiences working in diverse school and community settings
- How the certificate program can contribute to your further learning and development
- Your goals as a graduate student and educational professional
- Letter of Recommendation: Contact one individual who you have interacted with professionally and would be able to write a letter of recommendation for you regarding your experience with English Language Learners. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into the Online Program application.
Submit your Program Application Online