Preliminary Teaching Credential (Multiple and Single Subject)
How to Apply
Preliminary Credentials: In California this is the FIRST credential you can earn. If you want to be a teacher and do not hold a credential, then apply to a preliminary program. Multiple Subject credentials are for those who want to teach all subjects in elementary school (K-6). Single Subject credentials are for those who want to teach one subject at a time in middle or high school classrooms.
Important Dates for Fall 2023
|1. Cal State Apply application
(opens October 1 each year)
|February 1, 2023*|
|2. Official transcripts due||March 1, 2023|
*If you have missed the February 1st deadline, the program will not appear in Cal State Apply. However, you will still have the opportunity to apply until April 1st. Please contact the COE Admissions Analyst, Stephanie Kearney, [email protected], for a Cal State Apply invitation code. You can use the code to access the program you want to apply to. You must submit your application no later than April 1st for it to be accepted. Please contact Stephanie Kearney with any questions.
For this program, you are NOT required to complete the additional Interfolio program application. Instead, applicants must complete the Cal State Apply application and follow the directions below:
1. Submit Cal State Apply Application
Program Materials Needed for Cal State Apply
The credential items below will be asked about by questions and/or uploads in the Program Materials box/quadrant of the Cal State Apply application. Please start preparing to apply by getting these materials ready.
START EARLY: Most of our applicants tell us they spend approximately 3 months or more on the following 5 requirements.
- Prerequisite Courses (General Education version)
- Early Field Experience (General Education version)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- Subject Matter Competency (GE & Bilingual version)
- Certificate of Clearance or Emergency Teaching Permit
- Unofficial transcripts
- Bachelor's Degree
- GPA Requirement
- Personal Narrative (General Education version)
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Video (General Education version)
- Documentation for Student Teaching
- Credential Application fee (currently $25)
- Negative TB test results
Important Information About Credential Requirements:
- These items need to be completed prior to admission to SDSU's Credential program. Some items can be in progress when you are applying (like pre-reqs and your degree), but all exams and the Clearance must be complete before admission.
- Please maintain all your original documents as you may need to submit these again to districts for student teaching and/or employment.
2. Wait to Request Official Transcripts
Please wait to request these official transcripts until after you have submitted the Cal State Apply application, then request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions at Submitting Your Transcripts. If you send them in before you submit the application, they will take longer to process.
If you attended SDSU for your undergraduate degree, you can skip this step—we have this information already on file.
3. Explore Financial Aid Opportunities
4. Attend a Meet and Greet
These sessions are available to have questions answered by faculty who teach in the program and will provide more information about SDSU's cohort model. They are offered online only right now. We will hold new sessions for those who apply for the Fall 2023 credential program in the Spring of 2023 (shortly after the application deadline).
Recording from March 2022 Meet and Greet: Multiple Subject Only
Exit Requirements: Please be aware that there are additional exit requirements which you must fulfill to earn your credential. These must be completed by the time you finish the credential program.
Group Advising Sessions
Group Advising sessions, which take place on evenings and weekends, give a general overview of our Preliminary Credential programs and admissions process. For more information, as well as registration, visit the following link:
Get in Touch
Ask a specific question or request additional information by filling in the form below.