Exam Support CBEST/CSET/RICA
Future Educator Support (FES)
- BCOE has partnered with the Dual language and English Learner Department at SDSU, and SDCOE to provide online courses and support to those aspiring to become teachers.
- Future Educator Support (FES), a program at BCOE has developed a streamlined support program.
- FES works with any student who needs support through partnerships with two community colleges. Feather River College and Mendocino College.
- The partnership with the community colleges offers courses where student can register
to obtain exam support.
BCOE runs the courses.
How to obtain support
- SDSU provides a list and emails of those students who need support to FES.
- FES emails students with a survey to identify the exams they need to take.
- Students fills out community college application.
- Student adds community college code to FAFSA. This helps keep cost down.
- Students obtain access to online class which has synchronized and asynchronized sessions.
- An instructor works with students throughout the 6 week course.
How does FES support
- Student takes pretest
- Student completes a graphic organizer reflecting on areas of need.
- Student begins an online course which has quizzes and chapter exams to assess understanding.
- Instructor identifies areas of need to provide additional support and monitors students progress.
- Monthly reports are generated with student progress to share with SDSU.
- After completing course a practice exam is administered to ensure student is ready to take the exam.
- Each testing cycle is 6 weeks long.
- Instructor monitors students and provides weekly progress via email to students. This helps students stay on track.
- Quizzes and practice exams assess learning.
- Students are required to sign up for exam during a specific time period.
- Individualized support is provided.
- CBEST writing has writing workshops by specialized instructors.
- A relationship is built with students.
- If students qualifies for the Promise Grant (formerly BOG Waiver) - $0
- If student does not qualify for Promise Grant - Approximately $245 (Community College rate is $49 per unit x 5 units)
- This can be paid through SDSU support
- BCOE may be able to support with costs.
- If student completes the course successfully, they receive an exam voucher which waives exam fee for CBEST or one of the CSETs.
- One voucher per support course - Approximately $100
Please complete the following survey
Good to go!
Complete all 3 steps of the application
If you encounter any issues, contact Karla Lopez for support at [email protected]