Diálogos Virtuales was a lecture-discussion series hosted between Fall 2020 and Spring 2022. Through this series, the College of Education promoted the continued development of a visible culture of intellectual advancement, critical dialogue, and community engagement and activism amongst education students, faculty, staff and other allied service professionals interested in advancing diversity, equity-justice, and inclusion in higher and PK-12 education at local, regional, national, and international levels.
Discussion Topics & Speakers
- 'Dangerous Discussions': Critical Media Literacy Analysis of Higher Education in Popular Films
Elena M. Venegas, Ph.D., Lakia M. Scott, Ph.D., Karon N. LeCompte, Ph.D. and Mia Moody-Ramírez, Ph.D.
- Understanding the Opportunities and Challenges of Teaching Ethnic Studies
Sade Bonilla, Ph.D., Thomas S. Dee, Ph.D. and Emily K. Penner, Ph.D.
- Teaching for Global Readiness: Examples from Teacher Education in the U.S. and Spain
Shea Kerkhoff, Ph.D., María Sanz Leal, M.A. and Martha Lucía Orozco Gómez, M.A.
- Ecopedagogy: Freirean Pedagogies for Socio-Environmental Justice, Local-to-Planetary Sustainability, and Decolonizing, Anti-Racist, and De-Anthropocentric development
Greg William Misiaszek, Ph.D.
- Teaching and Learning During COVID-19: Non-trivial Findings From a 118-Country Study
Michał B. Paradowski, Ph.D.
- Local Action – Global Questions: Toward More Equitable School Leadership Through a (Virtual) Community of Practice and the Comparative Educational Leadership Lab
Anna Becker, Ph.D.
- Combating Ableism in Higher Education
Dr. Sonia Peterson, Dr. Toni Ann Saia, and Dr. Joseph Stramondo
- JEDI Discussion Circle: Honoring Hispanic Heritage Month
Mariano Lozano Soto and Naomi Ramírez
- Beyond the Designated Multicultural Education Course: Integrating Antiracist Pedagogical Approaches into Science Methods and Other University Courses
Dr. Kathleen Schenkel and Lucyann Atkins
- Akin´s Afro in Afro-Brazilian Children’s Literature: Toward an Ancestral Eco-Pedagogy
Dr. Kiusam de Oliveira and Carolina Marchi
- Global Learning Outcomes & Global Learning Course Designation at SDSU: An Information Session
Dr. Yea-Wen Chen and Giuliano Iannarelli McDonald
- An Indigenous Worldview Can Preserve Our Existence: Implications for Education (Video: Diálogos Virtuales - Four Arrows)
Dr. Wahinkpe Topa - Four Arrows (a.k.a) Donald Trent Jacobs
- The Unlearning Oppression & Alliance-Building Workshop
Dr. Beth Blue Swadener and Dr. Joy Anderson
- Internationalizing Curriculum in the College of Education: Neoliberal, Liberal, & Critical/Decolonial Approaches
Dr. Cristian Aquino-Sterling and Dr. William A. Twayigize
- Spanglish Decolonial Healing
marcela polanco, Nilufer Akman, Guadalupe Villarreal Ontiveros, Dr. Tri Nguyễn, and Navid Zamani
- International Students’ Challenges and Coping Strategies
Dr. Chichun Lin.
- Ubuntu and Tinogona
Dr. Li-Rong (Lilly) Cheng, Professor, School of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SDSU) and Director, Chinese Cultural Center (SDSU)
- The K-12 Ethnic Studies Movement in California: Ethnic Studies Curricular Dimensions
Dr. Trish Gallagher-Geurtsen - UCSD and Dr. Miguel Zavala - CAL State LA
- Advancing Glocal and Global Education in the COE: An Initial Dialogue (Video: Advancing Glocal and Global Education in the COE)
Dr. Cristian Aquino-Sterling – SDSU COE - STE and Dr. Sarah Maheronnaghsh – SDSU COE - DLE
- Ethics, Identity, and Education: A Levinasian Perspective
Dr. Donald Blumenfeld-Jones - Arizona State University
- Education and Mental Wellness at the Intersection of Black Identities: Critical Dialogues
Amber St. James, Fatima Haghi, Lorenza Hilliard, Monica Sanders, and Dr. Sesen Negash.
- Anti-Asian and Anti-Asian American Hate and Racism in U.S. Society: Implications for Advocacy, Curriculum, and Pedagogy in Education
Dr. Li-Rong Lilly Cheng, Dr. Katina Lambros, Dr. Virginia Loh-Hagan, Dr. Valerie Ooka Pang, Dr. Nellie Tran, and Dr. Sandra Wawrytko
- White Anti-Racism: Dismantling the Internalized Oppression of White Supremacy
Dr. Dani Bedau, Dr. Katie Turner, Dr. Lisa M. Sparaco, and Dr. Shelley Orr SDSU White Anti-Racist Committee
- Bilingual Education Around the World: Cross-National Dialogues on the State of the Art
Dr. Ivan Cláudio Pereira Siqueira (Brazil) - Dr. Anwei Feng (China) Dr. Anne-Marie de Mejía (Colombia) - Dr. Maria Luisa Pérez-Cañado (Spain) Dr. Rainer Enrique Hamel (Mexico) - Dr. Christian Faltis (USA) Dr. Margarita Machado-Casas (USA), and Dr. Belinda Bustos Flores
- Systemic and Experiential Approaches to Improve Students' Mental Health: A Workshop for COE Faculty
Dr. Chi-Chun (Wally) Lin - University of British Columbia (UBC)
- Philosophy with Children: Creating Inclusive Spaces
Debi Talukdar, Ph.D. Candidate - Program Director, Center for Philosophy for Children - University of Washington
- Creating Safe and Inclusive Schools for LGBTQ Students
Dr. Vincent Pompei
- Teaching in Bilingual Education for Critical Racial Consciousness: Lessons on Latinx Equity from a Dual-language Program
Dr. Laura Chavez-Moreno
- Descriptive Inquiry and Theatre of the Oppressed as Social Justice Methodologies
Dr. Felicia V. Black
- Racial Justice in Teaching and Learning (Video Recording for Racial Justice in Teaching and Learning)
Dr. Joseph F. Johnson
- Who's Afraid of Distance Learning?
Dr. Douglas Fisher and Dr. Nancy Frey