Doctoral & Educational Specialist Degree Programs

Our college was honored to be among the first to partner with other institutions in offering a joint doctoral program, and our partnership with Claremont Graduate University endures. In addition to the Ph.D., the college is proud to offer the Ed.D. and Ed.S. (Education Specialist) degrees.

Doctoral Programs

Doctor in Education (Ph.D.)

The Joint Ph.D. Program in Education offered by SDSU and Claremont Graduate University is to develop scholars who are committed to research on democratic schooling, social justice and equal educational outcomes for all students, and the improvement of educational systems serving diverse communities. Department: Joint Ph.D. Program.

Educational Leadership (Ed.D.), Concentration in PK-12 School Leadership 

The Ed.D. Program in Educational Leadership with a PK-12 concentration seeks to develop reflective leaders and change agents, capable of responding to local demographic shifts and the increasingly complex needs of educational organizations within our diverse multicultural region. Department: Educational Leadership.

Educational Leadership (Ed.D.), Concentration in Community College/Postsecondary Education Leadership

SDSU's Ed.D. program with a concentration in Community College Leadership (CCLEAD) is widely regarded as one of the top programs in the nation. CCLEAD develops leaders who are equity oriented, use inquiry to understand the inherent complexities of educational systems, and maintain institutional responsibility for critical issues facing America's community colleges. Department: Administration, Rehabilitation & Postsecondary Education.


Education Specialist Program

School Psychology (Ed.S.)

The SDSU School Psychology Program is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). The program is a four-year integrated graduate-professional program culminating in the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree in School Psychology and the California Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Psychology. Students simultaneously complete and earn: (a) the Masters of Science degree (M.S.) in Counseling with Concentration in School Psychology, usually at the end of their second year in the program, and (b) the California School Psychology Internship Credential at the end of their third year. Department: Counseling & School Psychology.


More Information

The University Catalog has detailed information about doctoral degree requirements, curriculum, advancement to candidacy, qualifying examinations, and more. (See "Requirements for Doctoral Degrees.")