Child Development (M.S.) with a Concentration in Early Childhood Mental Health and LPCC Program Application
Learn how to apply to the Child Development (M.S.) with a Concentration in Early Childhood Mental Health and LPCC.
NOTE: You apply for fall 2021 even though the program starts in the summer.
Steps to Apply
1. Submit the Cal State Apply application
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Test Scores and Transcripts page.
GRE Requirement Suspended for Spring and Fall 2021
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, SDSU has suspended the requirement that applicants for graduate study submit GRE scores for the Spring and Fall 2021 admissions cycle. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact the program advisor.
3. Submit the Program application
Please gather the required items below and have them ready to upload to the Program application:
Please download and complete this Language Background form (PDF) with your application.
Please provide one example of your academic writing. Research or literature review papers are preferred. This requirement applies to all applicants.
Please provide 3 letters of recommendation from individuals with whom you have interacted professionally (academic, employment, or clinical settings). It is recommended that at least one letter come from a professor or someone who can speak to your academic abilities and one from someone who can directly address your interactions/experiences with children, families, or other groups.
Recommenders will submit their letters directly into the online Program Application. Please collect their name and email address to enter into the Program application.
In a 2-page, double-spaced essay, please explain the following:
- Background: Describe what in your life has influenced your decision to pursue an LPCC program in early childhood and mental health.
- Career Perception and Goals: What type of role and/or settings do you see yourself working in professionally after you become an LPCC? Please be as specific as possible regarding the settings and function of your desired future role.
- Strengths and Areas to Improve: Describe yourself candidly in terms of your strengths and areas to improve regarding emotional, social, and intellectual activities.
Submit your program application online
Access the Online Program Application