Educational Leadership: Concentration in Community College/
Postsecondary Education Leadership (Ed.D.) Program Application
Department of Administration, Rehabilitation, & Postsecondary Education (ARPE)
The SDSU Educational Leadership program is designed to admit candidates who meet the academic requirements for rigorous doctoral study and who possess personal qualities and professional experiences that suggest a strong potential for success both as doctoral students and as educational leaders. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis.
Application review occurs in two cycles: December 15th – Priority Review and March 1st – Normal review. Application materials are due at 5:00 pm Pacific Time. Applications are reviewed after the December deadline and on a rolling basis thereafter until the March 1st deadline has passed.
Select candidates (particularly those with extensive community college experience) are advanced to the interviews with program faculty.
Applicants must possess:
- An earned baccalaureate and master's degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with a cumulative GPA in upper division and graduate study of 3.0 or above.
- Demonstrated community college leadership experience. Please note that very few applicants from four-year institutions are accepted into the program.
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, and an interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements within current educational policies and practices .
Important Dates for Fall 2021
Applications take place in 2 cycles: Priority Review and Normal Review
|1. Cal State Apply application
(opens October 1 each year)
|2. Official Transcripts due||
Steps to Apply
Follow the steps below to apply to the Educational Leadership: Concentration in Community
- You must first apply to the California State University via Cal State Apply.
- Next, request official transcripts.
- Then, submit the required documents to the Educational Leadership: Concentration in
Postsecondary Education Leadership (Ed.D.) Program.
1. Submit Cal State Apply
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Test Scores and Transcripts page.
GRE Requirement Suspended for Spring and Fall 2021
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, SDSU has suspended the requirement that applicants for graduate study submit GRE scores for the Spring and Fall 2021 admissions cycle. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact the program advisor.
3. Apply to the Program
Submit the required documents as directed below:
The documents below should be emailed directly to Sonia Salcido
Contact 3 individuals who you have interacted with academically and/or professionally and would be able to write a letter of recommendation for you.
Write a brief statement of purpose describing reason(s) for pursuing this degree. Include any additional information concerning your preparation that is pertinent to the objectives specified.