Marriage and Family Therapy (M.S.) Application Process
Learn how to apply to the Marriage and Family Therapy (M.S.).
Information sessions will be held twice in Fall 2022 (check back in the fall for dates/times) to provide prospective students more information about the admissions process, the program, and its faculty. Some faculty and current students from each cohort will be in attendance.
Prospective students are encouraged to read through the MFT program website prior to attending an information session. Due to our large applicant pool, we are not able to schedule individual consultations with prospective students. Instead, we will encourage interested candidates to join our information sessions.
Steps to Apply
1. Submit the Cal State Apply application
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Official Transcripts page.
The MFT program does NOT require applicants to submit GRE scores.
3. Submit the Program application
Please gather the required items below and have them ready to upload to the Program application:
Write a personal statement based on the following prompt.
The MFT Admissions Committee is interested in getting to know you as a developing person and professional. Please supply the Committee with a double-spaced 2- to 3-page reflective essay on the following areas:
- What attracts you to the SDSU program compared to other training programs?
- What personal life experiences have been very important to you in helping you prepare to be a mental health professional, counselor or marriage and family therapist?
- What unique multicultural experiences have you experienced in your life that have been meaningful to you in preparing to work as a mental health practitioner, counselor or marriage and family therapist?
- What specific events that stand out in your schooling or working life that are important stepping stones for you in training to be a mental health practitioner, counselor or marriage and family therapist?
Complete your experience profile using the Experience Profile Template (Word Document).
Contact 3 individuals who you have interacted with both personally and professionally and would be able to write a letter of recommendation for you. Please request that they write their letter and have it ready for when the system is available since they will be needed quickly. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into the Online Program Application (not through Cal State Apply).
Please collect recommenders names and email addresses so you can request these letters through the Program application.
Make a 5- to 6-minute video on your phone or some other video recording device and upload it with the other online program application materials in the Program application.
Questions for the Video:
- Tell us what you are most passionate about in becoming a mental health professional, counselor or marriage and family therapist.
- What do you most want to learn in your choice of program?
- What do you imagine at this time will be your contribution to working with others to provide them with helpful mental health services?
In the application, you will be asked to upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo. Link to directions on how to do this.
Access the Online Program Application
- Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).