Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application - Graduate Applicants
Find helpful tips on completing the Cal State Apply University Application for applicants to Graduate programs for Master's and Doctoral programs (including PhD and EdD).
Welcome! We are happy that you are applying to a College of Education program at SDSU!
Cal State Apply and Program Application Overlap
Please note that most Graduate programs in the College of Education require 2 applications to complete the application process: 1) Cal State Apply to the University and 2) a Program application. Our faculty will only be reviewing the information in your Program Application..
Our Preliminary credential programs only require the Cal State Apply application as we have included the program questions into this application. If you are applying to a Credential program and you need help with Cal State Apply, please refer to the Credential Program Tips for Cal State Apply page.
Information that you can skip
You can submit Cal State Apply without entering all of the information in all sections (as described below), since you will provide this information in your Program Application.
If you are applying to programs at other campuses, then you should check with them to see if they require these fields.
- GPA Entry: You can also skip the GPA question by doing the following: Click on Add GPA and then select "I don't have a GPA to add." See page 27, GPA Entries, of the Graduate Application Tutorial.
This is not required on the graduate application at SDSU.
- Experiences: Applicants do NOT need to enter any information in Experiences. Our faculty will not be reviewing this information in this application — instead they will review similar information in the Program Application. Please SKIP these sections by clicking on the button "I have not experiences to add."
For most Graduate applicants this section should already be green "complete" for you. Nothing is required in this quadrant.
Preliminary Credential applicants and a few MA programs have built this section out so their program only has 1 application. If this applies to your program then you will complete this quadrant instead of a second Program Application. If you do not already have a green circle on this section, then your program requires you to complete it.
What if I Want to Apply to 2 Programs?
The Cal State Apply application will only allow you to submit 1 application per campus, per term. This means that for Fall 2022 you can apply to 1 program at SDSU only; but you could submit a Cal State Apply application to a program at another CSU campus.
If you want to apply to 2 programs at SDSU, there is a "work around." Please submit the Cal State Apply application for 1 of the two programs. If you are applying to any of the following programs, then please submit the Cal State Apply application for this program:
- Postsecondary Educational Leadership: Specialization in Student Affairs (M.A.)
- School Counseling (M.S.) plus Pupil Personnel Services Credential
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.) Elementary and Secondary Education with a Focus in Math and Science
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.) K-12 Language Arts – Summer Only Program
These programs have all their application questions in the Cal State Apply application (no other Program Application is required). Most of the other Graduate Programs within the College of Education require a second Program application in Interfolio. To be considered for the additional program you would need to complete the Program applications for all programs you are wanting to apply to. If you have further questions, please email Melanie Falkenberg at [email protected]
This tutorial (PDF) can help all applicants applying for Graduate Admission at SDSU through the Cal State Apply application.
This tutorial (PDF) can help you complete the Program Materials quadrant required when applying to the following programs:
- Multiple or Single Subject credential
- Bilingual Multiple or Bilingual Single Subject credential
- Special Education credential (Early Childhood, Mild/Moderate, or Moderate/Severe)
Questions & Problems
Review instructions in What to do if your program does not appear on the list in Cal State Apply?? (PDF)
If you cannot submit your application and are receiving an error message, contact the Cal State Apply Technical Help Line at 857-304-2087.
Please be sure to have the CAS # assigned to your application for reference when you call.
Go to Cal State Apply
Link directly to Cal State Apply online.