Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application - Graduate Applicants
On this page: Find helpful tips on completing the Cal State Apply University Application for applicants to Graduate programs for Master's and Doctoral programs (including PhD and EdD).
Welcome! We are happy that you are applying to a College of Education program at SDSU!
Cal State Apply and Program Application Overlap
Please note that Cal State Apply is new. This year, there will be some duplicate elements that you will be required to address in both the Cal State Apply University application and in the Program application. Our faculty will only be reviewing the information in your Program Application, except the credential programs where only 1 application is now required.
If you are applying to a Credential program and you need help with Cal State Apply, please refer to the Credential Program Tips for Cal State Apply page.
Information that you can skip
You can submit Cal State Apply without entering all of the information in all sections (as described below), since you will provide this information in your Program Application.
If you are applying to programs at other campuses, then you should check with them to see if they require these fields.
Visual Graphic of sections required:
- Transcript Entry: Applicants do NOT need to complete the Transcript Entry section. You can click on "I am not Adding any College Transcripts" to skip this section. See page 26 of the Graduate Application Tutorial (PDF).
- GPA Entry: You can also skip the GPA question by doing the following: Click on Add GPA and then select "I don't have a GPA to add." See page 27 of the Graduate Application Tutorial (PDF).
- Standardized tests: Only Master's and Doctoral applicants need to enter their GRE score or when they plan to take the GRE in the Standardized test section. Credential applicants can use the button, "I don't have any test scores to enter," to skip this section.
These items are not required on the graduate application at SDSU.
- Experiences and Achievements: Applicants do NOT need to enter any information in Experiences or Achievements. Our faculty will not be reviewing this information in this application — instead they will review similar information in the Program Application. Please SKIP these sections by clicking on the button "I have not experiences to add" or "I have no Achievements to add."
- Master's applicants can skip all sections in this quadrant: Experiences, Achievements and Statement of Purpose. All of this information will be provided to SDSU faculty in the Program Application, not in Cal State Apply.
- Statement of Purpose: For the Statement of Purpose, please just enter, "sent to department." You will provide your "real" statement in the Program application.
For Graduate applicants this section should already be green "complete" for you. Nothing is required in this quadrant.
Preliminary Credential applicants will complete this quadrant instead of a second Program Application for Fall 2019.
This tutorial (PDF) can help all applicants applying for Graduate Admission at SDSU through the Cal State Apply application.
This tutorial (PDF) can help you complete the Program Materials quadrant required when applying to the following programs:
- Multiple or Single Subject credential
- Bilingual Multiple or Bilingual Single Subject credential
- Special Education credential (Early Childhood, Mild/Moderate, or Moderate/Severe)
Questions & Problems
Review instructions in What to do if your program does not appear on the list in Cal State Apply?? (PDF)
If you cannot submit your application and are receiving an error message, contact the Cal State Apply Technical Help Line at 857-304-2087.
Please be sure to have the CAS # assigned to your application for reference when you call.
Go to Cal State Apply
Link directly to Cal State Apply online.