Master's in Education, Counseling (Online-Hybrid)
How to Apply
You can earn the Graduate Certificate in Restorative Justice Practice and Trauma-Informed Care on the way to completing the M.A. degree. The GRE is no longer required to apply to this program.
Important Dates for Fall 2024
|1. Cal State Apply application
(opens October 1 each year)
April 1, 2024
|2. Official transcripts due||April 15, 2024|
|3. Interfolio program application||April 15, 2024|
Steps 1-4: Admission to SDSU
Steps 1-4 must be completed through the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office.
- Get general help and tips on how to complete the Cal State Apply application.
Step 5: Admission to Program
Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).
Please gather the required program-specific documents below and have them ready to upload to the Interfolio program application.
Write a 2-3 page personal statement based on the following prompts:
- What interests you about our hybrid online program compared to other training programs?
- What personal experiences have been important in helping you prepare to be a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
- What unique multicultural experiences have you had in your life that have been meaningful to you in preparing to work as a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
- What specific events, in your schooling or working life, stand out to you as important stepping stones for training to be a mental health professional, counselor, or educator?
Please upload your current resume or CV to the Interfolio program application.
This information will be requested within the Interfolio program application.
Letters of recommendation from 3 individuals who have knowledge of your academic and/or professional work. Please request that they write their letter and have it ready for when the system is available since they will be needed quickly. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into Interfolio Program application (not through Cal State Apply).
Please collect names and email addresses so you are ready to request these letters in the Interfolio program application.
Make a 5- to 6-minute video on your phone or some other video recording device and upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, or Google Drive and share the link/URL in the Interfolio program application.
Address the following questions in your video:
- Tell us what you are most passionate about and why you are interested in becoming a mental health professional, counselor or educator.
- What do you hope to learn throughout the program?
- What do you imagine will be your contribution to the field and how will you work with others to provide them with helpful mental health services?
In the Documents section of the Interfolio program application, under Personal Statement, please upload the URL for your video. Please add the URL for where your video is hosted to the "web page" tab in Interfolio as it is more reliable than the "video" tab. Your video MUST be hosted in YouTube, Vimeo or Google Drive and the link/URL provided in the application. Video on how to upload a video to YouTube.