Marriage and Family Therapy (M.S.)
How to Apply
The GRE is no longer required to apply to this program.
Important Dates for Fall 2024
|1. Cal State Apply application
(opens October 1 each year)
|December 1, 2023
|2. Official transcripts due*
|December 15, 2023
|3. Interfolio program application & letters of recommendation
|December 15, 2023
Steps 1-4: Admission to SDSU
Steps 1-4 must be completed through the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office.
- Get general help and tips on how to complete the Cal State Apply application.
Application Guide: Marriage and Family Therapy Cal State Apply Tutorial.
Step 5: Admission to Program
Your program application has been created in a system called Interfolio. For help, refer to this Interfolio Tutorial (PDF).
Please gather the required program-specific documents below and have them ready to upload to the Interfolio program application.
Write a personal statement based on the following prompt.
The MFT Admissions Committee is interested in getting to know you as a developing person and professional. Please supply the Committee with a double-spaced 2- to 3-page reflective essay on the following areas:
- What attracts you to the SDSU program compared to other training programs?
- What personal life experiences have been very important to you in helping you prepare to be a mental health professional, counselor or marriage and family therapist?
- What unique multicultural experiences have you experienced in your life that have been meaningful to you in preparing to work as a mental health practitioner, counselor or marriage and family therapist?
- What specific events stand out in your schooling or working life that are important stepping stones for you in training to be a mental health practitioner, counselor or marriage and family therapist?
Prepare a current resume or curriculum vitae listing work experience, education, awards, publications, and presentations.
Complete your experience profile using the Experience Profile Template (Word Document).
Complete the Marriage and Family Therapy Coursework Form (PDF).
Complete the Marriage and Family Therapy Disclosure Form (PDF).
Download unofficial transcripts (or scan a paper transcript) for every institution, one file per institution, and be prepared to upload to the Interfolio program application. This is in addition to, not a substitution for, having official transcripts sent to SDSU Graduate Admissions office.
Contact 3 individuals who you have interacted with both personally and professionally and would be able to write a letter of recommendation for you. Please request that they write their letter and have it ready for when the system is available since they will be needed quickly. Recommenders will submit their letters directly into the Interfolio program application (not through Cal State Apply).
Please collect recommenders' names and email addresses so you can request these letters through the Interfolio program application.
Make a 5- to 6-minute video on your phone or some other video recording device and upload it with the other online program application materials in the Interfolio program application.
Questions for the Video:
- Tell us what you are most passionate about in becoming a mental health professional, counselor or marriage and family therapist.
- What do you most want to learn in your choice of program?
- What do you imagine at this time will be your contribution to working with others to provide them with helpful mental health services?
In the application, you will be asked to upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo. Check out this article on how to Add YouTube and Vimeo Videos to Your Interfolio Dossier Account.
Two virtual information sessions will be held this Fall 2023 to provide prospective students more information about the admissions process, the program, and its faculty. Some faculty and current students from each cohort will be in attendance.
Information sessions about our Spanglish Decolonial Healing Certificate and Marriage and Family Therapy program will be held virtually through Zoom on the following dates:
Monday, October 30, 2023 from 5:00pm-8:00pm (PT). Click here for Zoom Link.
Monday, November 13, 2023 from 5:00pm-8:00pm (PT). Click here for Zoom link.
From 5:00pm-6:00pm we will talk about our Spanglish Decolonial Healing Certificate and immediately after from 6:00pm-8:00pm we will talk about our Marriage and Family Therapy program. Please fill out this interest form to receive information, updates, and reminders on this.
The first hour of the MFT portion will be dedicated to a presentation by the faculty and the second hour will be dedicated to a Q&A session.
Prospective students are encouraged to read through the MFT program website prior to attending an information session. Due to our large applicant pool, we are not able to schedule individual consultations with prospective students. Instead, we will encourage interested candidates to join our information sessions.
Folks invited to interview must attend the virtual interview (TBD). Exact times and date are to be announced in the Spring. Unfortunately, alternative interview dates cannot be accommodated.