Bilingual Personal Narrative
Learn about the Personal Narrative requirement for the Bilingual Preliminary Credential admissions.
Bilingual Preliminary Credential Admissions Requirements - Personal Narrative
You will be asked in the Program materials section of Cal State Apply to address both of the following prompts in a double-spaced, typewritten response. The preferred length is 2-page response in 12-point font for each prompt:
- Goals and Philosophy Essay: Please write an essay in English covering such areas as your professional development
as an educator, the kind of skills you feel are necessary to be an effective bilingual
teacher and your perceived type of support needed to accomplish the above. You may
also wish to cover the importance of the language and culture children bring to school
and its role in any further academic development.
- Autobiographical Essay in Spanish: This essay will help the school administrators and the University supervisor to
become better acquainted with you. Your essay should be written in Spanish and include:
- Personal information relative to your birthplace, elementary schooling, interests, hobbies, etc.
- Experiences you have had with school-aged children that have helped you gain insight into childhood growth and development and into school procedures and operations, and
- A brief statement indicating the reasons why you are interested in teaching and why you have the potential for becoming an excellent teacher.
If you are applying to be a Bilingual Partner, then both essays can be in English, but please explain either in the essay or video your comfort level with the Spanish language.
If you are applying to the Mandarin program, please submit both of the narratives in English.
Both essays must be uploaded to the application as separate PDF documents.