Bilingual (Spanish) Preliminary Teaching Credential - Multiple and Single Subject
How to Apply
Preliminary Credentials: In California this is the FIRST credential you can earn. If you want to be a teacher and do not hold a credential, then apply to a preliminary program. Multiple Subject credentials are for those who want to teach all subjects in a bilingual elementary school (K-6) classroom. Single Subject credentials are for those who want to teach one subject at a time in middle or high school classrooms, including bilingual/Spanish classes.
Note: The application process is the same if you are applying to the Bilingual Multiple Subject credential for Spanish or Mandarin. The only difference is the Language CSET exam you would take--which is listed below under Language and Cultural Competency.
For this program, you are NOT required to complete the additional Interfolio program application. Instead, applicants must complete the Cal State Apply application and follow the directions below:
Important Dates for Fall 2024
1. Submit Cal State Apply Application
Program Materials Needed for Cal State Apply
The credential items below will be asked about by questions and/or uploads in the Program Materials box/quadrant of the Cal State Apply application. Please start preparing to apply by getting these materials ready.
Please note that these same requirements are required of applicants to our face-to-face program and our online program.
START EARLY: Most of our applicants tell us they spend approximately 3 months or more on the following 6 requirements.
- Prerequisite Courses (Bilingual version)
- Early Field Experience (Bilingual version)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- Subject Matter Competency (GE & Bilingual version)
- Language and Cultural Competency
- Certificate of Clearance or Emergency Teaching Permit
- Unofficial transcripts
- Bachelor's Degree
- GPA Requirement
- Personal Narrative (Bilingual version)
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Video (Bilingual version)
- Credential Application fee (currently $25)
- Negative TB test results
Important Information About Credential Requirements:
- These items need to be completed prior to admission to SDSU's Credential program. Some items can be in progress when you are applying (like prerequisites and your degree), but all exams and the Clearance must be complete before admission.
- Please maintain all your original documents as you may need to submit these again to districts for student teaching and/or employment.
2. Wait to Request Official Transcripts
Please wait to request these official transcripts until after you have submitted the Cal State Apply application, then request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions at Submitting Your Transcripts. If you send them in before you submit the application, they will take longer to process.
If you attended SDSU for your undergraduate degree, you can skip this step—we have this information already on file.
3. Explore Financial Aid Opportunities
Group interviews will be held in April.
Exit Requirements: Please be aware that there are additional exit requirements which you must fulfill to earn your credential. These must be completed by the time you finish the credential program.
Visit OSS Advising for information about the credential program or admissions process.
Visit the Program Homepage
Bilingual (Spanish) Preliminary Teaching Credential