Gerald Monk, Ph.D., LMFT, LPCC
Coordinator of Clinical Training, AAMFT-approved Clinical Supervisor & Professor
Counseling and School Psychology
- [email protected]
- Mail Code
Gerald completed his Ph.D. at the University of Waikato, New Zealand (1998). He is a practicing Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, AAMFT Supervisor, and a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor.
Areas of Specialization
Narrative - Affective therapy, narrative mediation & conflict resolution, constructionist & discursive theories, restorative practice, mental health recovery.
- Monk, G., & Winslade, J. (2013). When stories clash: Addressing conflict in narrative mediation. Chagrin Falls, Ohio: Taos Institute. (Trans. Japanese, Danish and Russian).
- Monk, G., Winslade, J., & Sinclair, S. (2008). New horizons in multicultural counseling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Winslade, J., & Monk, G. (2008). Practicing narrative mediation: Loosening the grip of conflict. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (Trans. Japanese).
- Winslade, J., & Monk, G. (2007) Narrative counseling in schools: Powerful and brief. (Second Edition). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press. (Trans. Japanese, Korean and Spanish).
- Winslade, J., & Monk, G. (2000). Narrative mediation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (Trans. Danish, Russian, Japanese).
- Monk, G., Winslade, J. Crocket, K. & Epston, D. (Eds.) (1997). Narrative therapy in practice: The archaeology of hope. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (Trans. Japanese).
Recent Selected Journal Publications (2015-2020):
- Falcón Orta, V. & Monk, G.(2020) Creating Change in Higher Education Through Transfronterizx Student-led Grassroots Initiatives in the San Diego-Tijuana Border Region, Journal of Borderlands Studies, DOI: 1080/08865655.2020.1735480
- Monk, G., (in press). Using narrative mediation in healthcare following an unanticipated adverse event. In Appreciative and Relational Practices in Healthcare. Chagrin Falls. Ohio Taos Institute Publications.
- Monk, G. & Winslade, J. (2020). Narrative mediation: A case study addressing conflict in higher education. In McNamee, M. Gergen, C. C. Borges, E. Rasera Handbook of Social Constructionist Practice.London: Sage.
- Winslade, J. & Monk, G., (2020). Narrative mediation: What is it? In S. Cobb, S. Federman, & A. Castel. Introduction to conflict resolution.780-804. London: Rowman & Littlefield International.
- Monk, G. & Zamani, N. (2019). Narrative therapy and the affective turn: Theoretical Concepts /Part One Journal of Systemic Therapies,38(2)1-19.
- Darling, J.A., Moore, A. & Monk, G. (2019). Restoring connections through circles. In J. Kottler, S. Banu & S. Jani (Eds.). Handbook of refugee experience: trauma, resilience, and recovery.251-263. San Diego, California: Cognella Publishing.
- Erickson, D. & Monk, G. (2018). Applying narrative therapy with young people who engage with video gaming. Journal of Systemic Therapies,37(1), pp.1-14.
- Darling, J. & Monk, G. (2018). Constructing a Restorative School District. CollaborativeContemporary Justice Review: Issues in Criminal, Social, and Restorative Justice.21(1), 80-98.
- Monk, G. & Zamani, N. (2018). Integrating emerging understandings of neuropsychology and affect for narrative therapy with couples.In M.B. Scholl & J.T. Hansen, (Eds.) Postmodern perspectives on contemporary counseling issues: Approaches across diverse settings.233-260. New York: Oxford University Press.
Ramirez, N. & Monk, G. (2017). Crossing borders: Narrative therapy with undocumented Mexican women on a journey beyond abuse and violence. Journal of Systemic Therapies,36(2), pp. 27-38.
- Kahn, S. & Monk, G. (2017). Narrative supervision as a social practice. Journal of Systemic Therapies, 36(1), pp. 6-24
- Winslade, J., & Monk, G. (2016). Mediacao Narrativa: Uma Abordagem Diferenciada Para A Resolucao De Conflitos. Perspectiva Sistemica XXV(54) 7-16.
- Monk, G., Sinclair, S., & Nelson, M. (2015). Healthcare Professionals’ Use of Narrative Mediation to Address Disclosure and Apology in the Aftermath of Medical Errors. Conflict and Narrative: Explorations in Theory and Practice, 3, p. 1-19.
- Monk, G., & Hancock, S. (2015). Recovering a Life with Severe Mental Illness. Psychologists and Peer Support Specialists working together. Psychology Aotearoa. 7(2) 112-118.
Recent Selected Professional Presentations (2015-2020):
- Monk, G. (2020). At last: An interactive video innovation that works in assessing counselor performance Hawaii International Conference. The Hawaii International Conference on Education. Honolulu, Hawaii. Jan 4-7.
- Monk, G. (2018). Narrative mediation for Community and School Leaders. Dispuk. Snekkersten. Denmark. August 22-23.
- Monk, G. (2018). Narrative mediation for organizational consultants. Snekkersten. Denmark. August 20-21.
- Monk, G. (2018). De-escalating high stakes conflict in high reliability organizations.Global Leadership Adventures.San Diego. May 2.
- Monk, G. & Zamani, N. (2018). The affective turn. Narrative conference.Building on the Legacy of Michael White: A Decade of Developments. Coronado, San Diego. March 29.
- Monk, G. (2017). Narrative Mediation, Addressing mental health challenges through mediation. Two Day Workshop. British Columbia Family Justice Services. Whistler, British Columbia, Canada May 16-17.
- Monk, G. (2017). Narrative Mediation, Conflict Analysis & Conflict Resolution. One Day Workshop IXth Conference of the World Mediation Forum Quebec Province May 19.
- Monk, G. (2017). Narrative mediation practices for Health Care Mediators and Ombuds, Mediation Training, Kaiser Permanente. Carlsbad, February 14 – 18
- Monk, G. (2015). DF 5 Narrative practice in democratic engagement. Hope International, Bago, Myanmar, December, 10-15.
- Monk, G. (2015). Innovations in Narrative Therapy with couples. Where constructionism and attachment meet. Copenhagen, Denmark October 22-23.
- Monk, G. (2015). Rapprochement between mental health peer support practitioners and clinicians: The road ahead. The New Zealand Psychological Society. Hamilton, New Zealand. August 30.
- Monk, G., & Sinclair, D. (2015). Narrative practice with families in distress. Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Kyushu, Japan. July 3-4.
- Monk, G. (2015). Educating U.S. Healthcare Professionals in Disclosure and Apology Following Medical Errors. International Conference on Education, Psychology, and Liberal Arts. Taipei, Taiwan. April 23.