Ana Dueñas, Ph.D., BCBA-D
Dr. Ana Dueñas is a doctoral level Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA-D) and assistant professor at San Diego State University who earned a doctorate in special education from Michigan State University and a master’s in autism and transition to adulthood from SDSU. Her past appointment was at Lehigh University, where she was an assistant professor in the Education and Human Services Department. Dr. Dueñas’ primary research interests are in identifying and validating social communication interventions delivered by natural change agents to individuals on the autism spectrum and related developmental disorders. As part of this work, she is interested in addressing disparities in service provision for underserved families of children on the autism spectrum by developing and testing culturally informed educational and clinical practices. She has published her work in the Exceptional Children, Autism, Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Behavior Analysis Research and Practice, Journal of Special Education Technology, and Education and Treatment of Children.
- Dueñas, A. D., & D’Agostino, S. (2022). Experiences of ABA practitioners in the expedited delivery of ABA therapy via telehealth during the COVID-19 pandemic: Reflections and considerations for the future. Behavior Analysis: Research and Practice. https://psycnet.apa.org/fulltext/2022-78753-001.pdf
- Vanegas, S., Dueñas, A. D., Kunze, M., & Xu, Y. (2022) Adapting parent education and parent mediated intervention programs for diverse caregivers of children with ASD: Lessons learned during global crises. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9340799/
- Dueñas, A. D., *Wood, C., Maher, C. E., & *Sanchula, G. (2022). Component analysis of a peer training program for teaching social responsiveness to typically developing preschoolers. Education and Treatment of Children. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s43494-022-00073-7
- Bak, M. Y. S., Plavnick, J. B., Dueñas, A. D., Wawrzonek, A. J., Brodhead, M. T., Weber, E., & Dodson, S. (2021). The use of automated data collection in applied behavior analytic research: A review. Behavior Analysis: Research and Practice, 21, 376-405. https://doi.org/10.1037/bar0000228
- Josol, C., Fisher, M., Brodhead, M. & Dueñas, A. D. (2021). Using a video feedback intervention package to improve affective empathy skills for adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 34, 127-145. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10882-021-09793-x
- Bak, M. Y. S., Dueñas, A. D., Avendaño, S. M., Graham, A. C. & *Stanley, T. (2021). Tact instruction for children with autism spectrum disorder: A review. Autism & Developmental Language Intervention, 6, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/2396941521999010
- Dueñas, A. D., & D’Agostino, S., & Plavnick, J.B. (2021). Teaching young children to make bids to play to peers with autism spectrum disorder. Focus on Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 201-212. https://doi.org/10.1177/10883576211023326
- Dueñas, A. D., Plavnick, J. B., & Goldstein, H. (2020). Effects of a multi-component peer mediated intervention on social communication of preschoolers with autism spectrum disorder. Exceptional Children, 87, 236-257. https://doi.org/10.1177/0014402920953761
- Plavnick, J. B., Bak, M. Y. S., Avendaño, S. M., Dueñas, A. D., Brodhead, M.T., & Sipila, E. S. (2020). Short report: Implementing early intensive behavioral intervention in community settings. Autism, 24, 1913-1916. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361320919243
- D’Agostino, S., Dueñas, A. D., & Plavnick, J. B. (2020). Increasing social initiations during shared book reading: An intervention for preschoolers with autism spectrum disorder. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education,39, 213-225. https://doi.org/10.1177/0271121418816422
- D’Agostino, S., Douglas, S., & Dueñas, A. D. (2019). Practitioner-implemented naturalistic developmental behavioral interventions in early childhood: A systematic review of social validity. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 39, 170-182. https://doi.org/10.1177/0271121419854803
- Dueñas, A. D., Plavnick, J. B., & Maher, C. E. (2019). Embedding tact instruction during play for preschool children with autism. Education and Treatment of Children, 42, 361-384. https://doi.org/10.1353/etc.2019.0017.
- Dueñas, A. D., Plavnick J.B., & Bak, M.Y. (2019). Effects of joint video modeling on unscripted play behavior of children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 49, 236-247. https://10.1007/s10803-018-3719-2
BCBA Verified Course Sequence Coordinator