Luke Duesbery, Ph.D.
Dr. Duesbery earned his Ph.D. from the University of Oregon in 2007, and currently
holds a position as Associate Professor in the School of Teacher Education, at San
Diego State University, and is the Director for the Center for Teaching Critical Thinking
and Creativity. His research interests include critical thinking, educational measurement,
data graphics in assessment, and the integration of technology in assessment and learning.
Luke actively works in schools promoting teaching with emphasis on critical thinking in the content areas. He provides professional development and implementation support to teachers and administrators in all San Diego area school districts, with a focus on evaluating the impact of teaching critical thinking. He is an officer in the American Educational Research Association’s Research Use Special Interest Group. With them, he co-developed an online tool designed to bridge research with practice (www.researchbriefs.org), with the expectation that we can transform teaching by providing better access to research findings.
- Research Methods
- Undergraduate Research
- Gifted Education
- Program Evaluation
- Information and Data Retrieval
- Introduction to Special Education
- Math Methods in Special Education
- Advanced Issues in Special Education
- Assessment for Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- Ph.D. Educational Leadership, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- M.Sc.Ed. Math Education, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- B.A. (Hons.) Economics/History, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON
Duesbery, L. & Twyman T. (2019). 100 Questions (and answers) about action research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishing.
Werblow, J., Duesbery, L., & Koulidobrova, H. (2020). The Case for Dual Language Programs as the Future of Public Education. Journal of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. Special Issue #3 on Educational Leadership and Social Justice, 3(3).
Duesbery, L., Frizelle, S., Twyman, T., Naranjo, J., & Timmermans, M. (2019). Developing and designing open border classrooms: Case studies in online higher education. Journal of Educators Online. 16(1).
Duesbery, L., Braun-Monegan, J., Liu, K., & McCoy, J. (2017). Thinking critically about data displays. Journal of Visual Literacy. 36(1), 41-54.
- Duesbery, L., Brandon, R., Liu, K., Braun-Monegan, J. (2016). Transitioning to online courses in higher education. Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 12 (4), 7-15.
- Duesbery, L., Justice, P. (2015). Effects of an elementary language arts unit on critical thinking, reading, and writing. Journal of Education and Practice, 6(1), 148-155.
[The information on this page is provided by the user and is not to be construed as an official statement by San Diego State University. The user takes full responsibility for the information presented.]