Center for Research in Mathematics and Science Education
- [email protected]
- 6475 Alvarado Road, Suite 206 San Diego, CA 92120
Zahner has been PI or Co-PI on multiple projects. Zahner's currently active funded projects include:
- Principal Investigator SDSU-ELSF Classroom Research Study. Funding Agency: English Learners Success Forum, 2021-2022, $318,000
- Co-Principal Investigator “Creating a Model for Sustainable Ambitious Mathematics Programs in High-Need Settings: A Researcher-Practitioner Collaboration.” Funding Agency: National Science Foundation (Award #2010111), 2020 - 2024, $2,527,058
- Co-Principal Investigator “Collaborative Research: Mathematics Persistence through Inquiry and Equity: Redeveloping Gateway Mathematics in a Two-year HSI to Promote Success in STEM.” Funding Agency: National Science Foundation (Award #1953713), $2,198,757
- Principal Investigator CAREER: Designing Learning Environments to Foster Productive and Powerful Discussions among Linguistically Diverse Students in Secondary Mathematics.” Funding Agency: National Science Foundation (Award # 1553708), 2016 - 2023, $922,263
- American Educational Research Association, 2022
- North American Chapter of the International Group of the Psychology of Mathematics Education, 2021
- Research Conference of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2022
Zahner, W. & Wynn, L.* (2021). Rethinking Learning Trajectories in Light of Student Linguistic Diversity. Mathematical Thinking and Learning. https://doi.org/10.1080/10986065.2021.1931650
D’Errico, M. & Zahner, W. (2021). Using interviews to identify the resources of multilingual high school students. Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics, 12(2), 7-15.
Zahner, W., Calleros, E. D.*, & Pelaez, K.* (2021). Designing secondary mathematics learning environments to promote discussions in multilingual classrooms. ZDM Mathematics Education 52(2), 359-373.
Zahner, W., Calleros, E. D.*, Pelaez, K.*, Abeldaño, P.*, Parra, J. A.*, Zuniga, A.* (2021). Removable Discontinuities: Improving the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics in the San Diego-Tijuana Region. NABE Global Perspectives.
Zahner, W. (2021). Designing for mathematical literacy: Introducing exponential growth using critical and meaningful problem contexts. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 64(6), 693– 698. https://doi.org/10.1002/jaal.1156
Zahner, W. & Aquino Sterling, C. (2020). Are the words as important as the concepts? Using pedagogical language knowledge to expand analysis of mathematics teaching with linguistically diverse students. Mathematics Education Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13394-020-00352-9
Zahner, W. Chapin, S., Levine, R. He, L.* & Afonso, R.* (2019). Examining the recruitment, placement, and career trajectories of secondary mathematics teachers prepared for high need schools. Teachers College Record 121(2), 1-36.
De Araujo, Z., Roberts, S., Willey, C. & Zahner, W. (2018). English learners in K-12 mathematics education: A review of the literature. Review of Educational Research, 88(6), 879-919. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654318798093
Zahner, W., Milbourne, H.*, & Wynn, L.* (2018). Developing and refining a framework for mathematical and linguistic complexity in tasks related to rates of change. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 52, 21-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmathb.2018.04.003
Mosckovich, J.N. & Zahner, W. (2018). A Situated and Sociocultural Perspective on Mathematical Communication: Uncovering Multiple Components of Activity during Peer Mathematical Discussions. ZDM Mathematics Education, 50(6), 999-1011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11858-018-0982-9