Subject Matter Competency Waiver
Learn about how Single Subject candidates may meet the Subject Matter Competency Requirement through a waiver program (from the undergraduate major).
Preliminary Credential Admissions Requirements - Subject Matter Competency Requirement
- Waiver Programs
Subject Matter waiver programs are undergraduate degree programs that have been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to waive the CSET exam for the credential program. Use the information below if you think you participated in an undergraduate major that may qualify:
If you attended SDSU for your undergraduate degree:
- You must obtain an Advisors Recommendation (waiver) form (PDF) signed by the designated advisor for the academic teaching major on this campus (see chart below), or a letter from the credentials analyst at another California institution that has an approved subject matter waiver program.
- SDSU does not provide evaluation services to individuals who graduated from other universities.
- Faculty advisors are available during the academic year (fall/
spring), but generally are not on campus during the summer session. Please refer to the list of advisors below.
|Art||Mark Siprut||Art 509||619-594-2850||[email protected]|
|English *||Claire Colquitt||619-594-6219||[email protected]|
|Mathematics *||William Zahner||GMCS 505||619-594-7247||[email protected]|
|Mathematics (Foundational level)||Virginia Loh-Hagan||EBA 255F||[email protected]|
|Multiple Subjects* (Liberal Studies)||Virginia Loh-Hagan||EBA 255F||[email protected]|
|Music *||Karen Koner||M201||[email protected]|
|Biology *||Kathy Williams||PS 151A||619-594-4358||[email protected]|
|Chemistry *||David Pullman||CSL 301||619-594-5573||[email protected]|
|Social Science*||Brian Adams||NH 122||619-594-4289||[email protected]|
If you attended another school in California, other than SDSU, for your undergraduate degree:
- You must obtain a letter from the credential analyst at your California institution that has an approved subject matter waiver program which will prove you have completed the appropriate course work for the waiver program at your institution.
- Only programs that have been evaluated and approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) fulfill this requirement. SDSU cannot provide courtesy evaluations of subject matter coursework for candidates who graduated from other institutions.