Preliminary Credential (Multiple and Single Subject), Program Application
Learn how to apply to the Preliminary Multiple and Single Subject Credential Program.
Multiple Subject credentials are for those who want to teach all subjects in elementary school (K-6). Single Subject credentials are for those who want to teach one subject at a time in middle or high school classrooms.
Steps to Apply
1. Submit the Cal State Apply Application
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
Items Needed to Complete the Cal State Apply Application
The credential items below will be asked about by questions and/or uploads in the Program Materials box/quadrant of the Cal State Apply application. Please start preparing to apply by getting these materials ready.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Bachelor's Degree
- GPA requirement
- Personal Narrative
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Early Field Experience
- Documentation for Student Teaching (Single Subject applicants only)
- Credential application fee (currently $25)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- Subject Matter Competency (can be completed by one of the following)
- Certificate of Clearance or Emergency Teaching Permit
- Negative TB test results
- Prerequisite Courses
Important Information about Credential requirements:
- These items need to be completed prior to admission to SDSU's Credential program. Some items may be in progress when you submit your application, but all (with exception of the pre-req classes and your degree) MUST be complete BEFORE you can be offered admission.
- Please maintain all your original documents as you may need to submit these again to Districts for student teaching and/or employment.
2. Request official transcripts
Request that your official transcripts be sent to SDSU, following instructions on our Submit Test Scores and Transcripts page. Please wait to request these official transcripts until AFTER you have submitted the Cal State Apply application.
If you attended SDSU for your undergraduate degree, you can skip this step--we have this information already on file.
3. Interviews or Meet and Greet Opportunities
Last year only Meet and Greet opportunities were offered in lieu of the interview process. These sessions are available to have questions answered by faculty who teach in the program. They offer face to face and online access for those who may live outside of San Diego. The dates for these sessions are:
We hope to be able to offer these sessions face to face in Spring 2021 for Fall 2021 applicants. It will depend on if we can safely gather, due to COVID 19, at that time. If not, online sessions will be provided. Here are links to the sessions held and recorded for last year's applicants:
Recording of Fall 2020 Multiple Subject Meet and Greet (Feb 2020)
Recording of Fall 2020 Single Subject Meet and Greet (Feb 2020)
Please be aware that there are additional exit requirements which you must fulfill to earn your credential. These must be completed by the time you finish the credential program.