Preliminary Credential - Bilingual (Multiple and Single Subject) Application Process
Learn how to apply to the Preliminary Credential - Bilingual Program (Multiple and Single Subject).
Multiple Subject credentials are for those who want to teach all subjects in a bilingual elementary school (K-6). Single Subject credentials are for those who want to teach one subject at a time in middle or high school classrooms, including bilingual/Spanish classes.
Note: The application process is the same if you are applying to the Bilingual Multiple Subject credential for Spanish or Mandarin. The only difference is the Language CSET exam you would take--which is listed below under Language and Cultural Competency (below).
Important Dates for Fall 2022
|1. Cal State Apply application
(opens October 1 each year)
|March 1, 2022|
|2. Transcripts due||April 1, 2022|
Steps to Apply
1. Submit the Cal State Apply Application
For assistance, see Tips on Completing the Cal State Apply University Application.
Items Needed to Complete the Cal State Apply Application
The credential items below will be asked about by questions and/or uploads in the Program Materials box/quadrant of the Cal State Apply application. Please start preparing to apply by getting these materials ready.
Please note that these same requirements are required of applicants to our face to face program and our online program.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Bachelor's Degree
- GPA Requirement
- Personal Narrative
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Early Field Experience NOTE: This requirement has been waived for the Fall 2022 application cycle only due to COVID 19 and schools continuing to be online with few outsiders allowed to visit.
- Credential Application fee (currently $25)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- Subject Matter Competency (can be completed by one of the following):
- Language and Cultural Competency
- Certificate of Clearance or Emergency Teaching Permit
- Negative TB test results
Important Information about Credential requirements:
- These items need to be completed prior to admission to SDSU's Credential program. Some items can be in progress when you are applying (like pre-reqs and your degree), but all exams and the Clearance MUST be complete BEFORE admission.
- Please maintain all your original documents as you may need to submit these again to Districts for student teaching and/or employment.
2. Request official transcripts
Group interviews will be held in April.
Please be aware that there are additional exit requirements which you must fulfill to earn your credential. These must be completed by the time you finish the credential program.