How to Apply to a Credential Program
Application Process - Required Documents
In most cases, your application to a credential program requires:
- Cal State Apply, the application required by SDSU and the California State University (CSU) system. Cal State Apply is the online application process used by all CSU universities.
- Your official academic transcripts - These must be sent to SDSU directly by the institution by mail or email. (If you attended SDSU as an undergraduate student, then we do NOT require official transcripts from SDSU. We have access to this information.) Please wait to send your transcripts until AFTER you have submitted the Cal State Apply application.
- Program application, may be required by the College of Education program offering the credential you seek. The program application and accompanying required documents will vary by department and by specific credential. Starting Fall 2019, this additional application will only be required for advanced credential programs (Administrative Services and Reading Specialist credential).
- Avoid delays: Submit early!
Find Your Credential Program
Preliminary Credentials -- In California this is the FIRST credential you can earn. If you want to be a teacher and do not hold a credential, then apply to one of these preliminary programs.
Induction Programs -- These programs are for people who already hold a teaching credential and need to earn the second credential in California, the Clear credential. If you hold a credential and need to clear it then look at the Induction programs.
- General Education Induction
- Special Education Induction (Clear credential only)
- Special Education Induction and Master's